Updated: Feb 13, 2019
2017 Best Historic Rehabilitation Project
The 523 square foot space, formerly used as offices for the Elkin Manufacturing Company and the Elkin and Alleghany Railroad in downtown Elkin, is the last remaining wooden structure on Main Street. The c. 1870 building located at 231 West Main Street was covered in aluminum siding. A major concern for the renovation was the condition of the wood underneath the siding, but the German lap siding was in excellent condition. The renovation process also uncovered architectural details on the front and rear of the building and the roof lines and two ornate gables that were found in the attic. The total cost of the renovation was $200,000.
The building is listed on the National Register of Historic Places and the owners received historic tax credits for the renovation. In addition, the facade improvement plan was developed by the North Carolina Main Street and Rural Planning Center's design partners, the University of North Carolina at Greensboro Main Street Fellows in the Department of Interior Architecture.
The building is used as an overnight stay location in downtown Elkin. It is often rented by Mountains-to-Sea Trail hikers that want a place to stay on their journey, as wedding lodging for couples that get married at The Liberty on East Main Street or by visitors that are exploring the Yadkin Valley Wine Region. The building offers so much curb appeal that it has now inspired a second VRBO rental in downtown, a retail storefront is undergoing renovations, a restaurant reopened, a farm store reopened, and the Reeves theater has been fully renovated and reopened. The income from the building went from $550 per month to $500 per week.